Friday, January 22, 2010

Repairing the Schlumph High Speed Drive 2


Well as I removed the Schlumph High Speed Drive 34 tooth chain ring I began to believe I have put the replacement ring on the drive incorrectly. When the first chain ring bent the C rings which hold it on came off and it was dark and I really did not know for sure how it had been originally assembled. I assumed I did and when the replacement ring arrived I assembled it how I thought it went back together. It never seemed right to me but I assumed it had to be this way. What I did was put one of the C rings on one side of the chain ring and one on the other side assuming the chain ring was to be sandwiched in between them. When I removed the second bent chain ring I discovered littl tiny stops on the inside of the mount for the chain ring making it impossible for the ring to go onto the mounting ring past a certain point. I have missed these stops the first time I repaired the Drive. Once I discovered them it became obvious to me the the two C rings belong on the outside with the chain ring sandwiched between the stops and the two C rings working together to hold the chain ring in place. Later I went to their site and found this picture of the 34 tooth version of the High Speed Drive and one can easily see both C rings on the outside. I have now carefully flatted out the second chain ring, because it was bent less than the first, and reassembled the 34 tooth chain ring assembly and reinstalled it on my trike. I will also flatter the original chain ring and carry it as a spare because it can be changed with no tools should I damage the ring again. What is amazing it that I rode several hundred miles with the Drive assembled incorrectly. I assume the assemble was put together correctly when I received it as it looked like it came for the manufacturer so the first failure was due to me putting too much force on the pedals trying to start on an uphill in the wrong gear. So it is possible to break it that way but there is no reason to mistreat the Drive like that and I am hopping that with normal use the Drive will function correctly.

No comments: